Our garden is finally at the point of giving us beautiful salad greens each day, so it was only natural to combine them with the local berries we’ve been enjoying. Inspired by the successful pairing of berries and balsamic in that classic Italian dessert, I used our favorite vinaigrette method to whip up a quick balsamic dressing with honey and mustard. Paired with spicy red onions and some toasted almonds, it was a simple and delicious way to enjoy them!
We added a few blue cheese crumbles since we had them on hand, but you could use cheese of any type – or anything else that seems to make for a tasty combination! If you’re wary of the breath the onions might leave you with, try soaking the slices in cold water for about 15 to 20 minutes before serving – it’s a good trick for dulling the spice a bit.
Try it out and enjoy the fresh, delicious taste of early summer!
- 2 cups strawberries
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- ½ red onion
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 4 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Wash and slice the strawberries, and wash and dry the salad greens. Thinly slice ½ red onion (to mellow the flavor, soak the onion slices in cold water for about 20 minutes prior to serving).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast the sliced almonds for a few minutes until they are golden brown, stirring frequently and watching carefully so that they don't burn.
- In a small canning jar, combine 4 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 4 teaspoons mustard, 2 tablespoons honey, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Shake vigorously to combine.
- To serve, spread the greens on a plate and top with strawberries, red onion, almonds, cheese crumbles, vinaigrette, and fresh ground black pepper.