We like to think of chocolate as a natural food, which I think qualifies these little clusters as a “whole foods” holiday treat? Compared to the gingersnap peppermint ice cream sandwiches, the preparation is a dream: quick and simple. Melt the chocolate, add cranberries and pistachios, and cool in refrigerator. Easy as that, and the result is so so delicious, especially with a quality dark chocolate. With the contrasting red and green of the pistachios, they’re fun and festive without the need for colored sugar or icing. And, dare I say, healthy? (Or maybe, comparatively not so unhealthy?)
Some people just ooze baking and cookies practically fall off of them as they walk…insanely talented friends Annie, Sarah, Ashlae, and Kathryn come to mind. For those of you who don’t consider yourself a natural-born baker (both Alex and I included), these are perfect holiday treats to whip up. They’re also a great gluten-free option if you’re looking for something for the holiday table.
How are you feeling about the holidays so far — do you celebrate? This year, we’re resolved to enjoy and not let stress get the better of us. It can be easy to just go through the motions, or worse yet get so wrapped up in keeping it all together that the season becomes joy-less. Instead, we’re hoping to take a deep breath and enjoy each moment for what it is…with a few of these chocolately morsels in tow :)
These clusters are best when made with a high-quality chocolate. We used Guittard’s Akoma Extra Semisweet Chocolate Chips, which also happen to be Fair Trade certified! Take this opportunity to support a chocolate you believe in.
- 12 ounces (2 cups) high-quality dark chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup salted pistachios (or substitute roasted salted pepitas)
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- Line two baking sheets with wax paper.
- Fill a large skillet halfway with water and bring to a simmer. Place 2 cups chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl (metal or glass). Once the water is simmering, turn off the heat and place the bowl of chocolate in the water, then stir until melted.
- Drop a small mound of chocolate onto wax paper, then top each mound with 4 to 5 cranberries and 4 to 5 pistachios.
- Cool in the refrigerator until hardened (30 minutes to 1 hour).