We don’t generally label recipes as “healthy”, especially desserts — since the term almost implies there is something unsatisfying about the food. Plus, it can be subjective (what really qualifies something as healthy?) — and even healthy foods in massive quantities are no longer healthy. (Except maybe celery.) But, how to label a milkshake recipe made of only whole foods? The best search term we could come up with was “healthy”, so we went with it.
We wish we could take credit for this idea, but it’s an adaptation of this stunning almond joy milkshake from our friend Ashley of the blog Edible Perspective. We love that it’s sweetened entirely with dates, and made of coconut milk — which makes it suitable for those dairy-free, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free people in your life.
We went mad for these milkshakes.
A few quick caveats — #1. This tasted chocolate-y enough for our palates, but we’re not used to overly sugary foods. If you’re a traditional milkshake lover, you may have to stretch yourself a bit with this one. #2. This recipe makes enough for two modest-sized milkshakes. While not the traditional gigantic milkshake portions, they’re a satisfying amount. #3 You’ll have to think ahead on this one, so make sure to freeze the coconut milk several hours prior to serving.
Have at it.
Also, we want to send another shout out to everyone affected by the recent events in Boston and the explosion near Waco, Texas. What a week. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 medjool dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toppings: toasted coconut, chocolate chips, etc
- Pour coconut milk into an ice cube tray to make 16 ice cubes. Reserve the remaining coconut milk in the refrigerator.
- Remove the pits from the dates. When the ice cubes are set (3 hours or more), place the reserved coconut milk, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 6 medjool dates, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add the coconut milk ice cubes and blend again until smooth.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and chocolate chips.