We unplugged a bit this weekend to spend time with my parents, in town from Minnesota. Hard as it is to squeeze 5 days of work into a 4-day week, it felt great to take a breather from work, blogging, and most social media (minus Instagram, of course) to celebrate some milestone birthdays and enjoy the weekend. We cooked for fun, with no intention of developing recipes – also a nice break.
This recipe was born of the exact opposite, trying a bit too hard to come up with a recipe. Our friend Erin visited a while back to help us create some recipes for our Healthy + Whole series. We tasked ourselves with creating a recipe that was healthy, easy, relatively cheap, versatile, appealing to the masses, with a short ingredient list, and not dependent on fancy cooking equipment. Somehow, all those constraints boxed us in. Trying to come up with the “perfect” meal that fit all of these categories was a chore. We deliberated for hours and changed our minds several times.
Luckily, what finally came of all the deliberating actually turned out to be this tasty tortilla pie. It’s easy to make, though it does take 1 hour to cook (failing my “quick to make” test, but we had to sacrifice something). Filled with the traditional black beans and corn, the flavor is heightened with green chilies and a hint of hot sauce. It’s great warm out of the oven, and saves well as leftovers. We hope you enjoy it as a healthy and whole dinner option.
We’re interested to hear from you — what are some good healthy and easy recipes you like to serve?
Also, thank you to all of you for your thoughtful and supportive comments about my recent trip to Cambodia and Laos. It has been so lovely to share with you, and Alex and I appreciate your interest in the Green Mango Cafe project so much!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped chard
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4-ounce can green chilies
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- A few dashes hot sauce
- ⅔ to 1 cup shredded cheese (divided)
- 5 small corn tortillas (6 inch)
- Garnishes: sour cream, cilantro, green onions, hot sauce
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 eggs. Stir in 1 cup milk
- Drain and rinse the beans, if canned. Chop enough for 1 cup chard. To the egg mixture, add 1 cup beans, 1 cup chard, 1 cup corn, green chilies, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, a few dashes hot sauce, and ⅓ to ½ cup cheese.
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate, then overlap the tortillas in the bottom, making sure the tortillas do not extend over the top edges of the pie plate. Pour in the egg mixture. Top with another ⅓ to ½ cup cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 1 hour. While the pie bakes, chop the cilantro and or/green onions (if using).
- Let cool, then cut into slices. Garnish with sour cream, chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, and/or hot sauce.