This creamy vegan potato soup is the stuff dreams are made of! Cozy and rustic, you’d never guess it was plant based.
- 2 large or 4 small shallots (1 cup finely chopped)*
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 1/4 pounds russet potatoes (4 medium or 3 large), enough for 6 cups diced
- 4 tablespoons refined coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups plain oat milk, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (purchased or homemade)
- Topping ideas: vegan yogurt, sour cream or cashew cream, chives, green onions, orange bell pepper, vegan bacon, hot sauce
- Mince the shallots. Mince the garlic. Peel and small dice the potatoes.
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Shake the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Slowly stir in the vegetable broth, adding it bit by bit and then stirring until mostly smooth. Once incorporated, add the oat milk, potatoes, kosher salt, and Old Bay.
- Bring to a simmer and cook on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes (make sure the heat is just at a simmer and does not boil). Stir often and scrape the bottom to make sure nothing sticks. The soup will get extremely creamy; make sure to keep stirring or a skin will form on the top. It’s done when the potatoes fall apart when you mash one against the side of the pot with your spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes so that a creamy but chunky texture forms. Stir to incorporate the mashed potatoes. Then serve topped with toppings of your choice: we used purchased vegan yogurt, thinly sliced green onions, chives, orange bell pepper, and coconut bacon. Leftovers store refrigerated for up to 5 days: reheat on the stovetop and add a splash of milk.
*To make vegan potato leek soup: Substitute 3 large leeks for the shallots. Chop off the dark green stems of the leeks and the bottom root, then slice them in half lengthwise. Place each leek half cut-side down on the cutting board, then chop it into thin slices, resulting in half-moon shapes, then rinse them thoroughly in a colander. Add the leeks with the garlic and cook about 4 minute until tender, then follow the remainder of the recipe.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan potato soup, vegan potato soup recipe