These loaded quinoa tacos are a delicious vegetarian taco recipe, featuring quinoa taco filling, bell pepper slaw, spicy sour cream, and feta!
- 1 cup Simply Nature Organic Quinoa
- 2 cups Simply Nature Organic Vegetable Broth
- 3 tablespoons Simply Nature Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon each: cumin and paprika
- 1 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 green onions
- 1 lime
- 1 bell peppers (we used 1/2 red and 1/2 orange)
- 4 cups Simply Nature Organic Spring Mix
- Salsa, store bought or Salsa Fresca
- Sour cream, spicy mayo, or cashew cream
- Feta cheese crumbles (omit for vegan)
- Pickled red onions, pickled radishes or pickled jalapenos (optional, made in advance)
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- Cook the quinoa: In a dry pan over medium heat, add the dry quinoa and toast it over medium heat, stirring frequently. After a few minutes you’ll start to hear a popping sound; continue stirring until the quinoa just starts to brown and smell toasty, about 3 to 4 minutes total.
- Immediately transfer the quinoa to a fine mesh strainer and rinse it in the sink. Return it to the pot and add the vegetable broth and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer where the broth is just bubbling for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the broth has been completely absorbed. (Check by pulling back the quinoa with a fork to see if broth remains.) Turn off the heat and let sit with the lid on to steam for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Prepare the toppings*: While the quinoa cooks, make a quick bell pepper slaw: Thinly slice the peppers, then cut them in half. Place them in a bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon lime juice and a few pinches kosher salt, and allow to stand until serving. If serving with spicy sour cream, stir in few shakes hot sauce to taste (or do the same with hummus for a vegan option).
- Finish the quinoa taco filling: When quinoa is done, melt the coconut oil in large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add cooked quinoa and stir to combine. Add the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and stir. Then cook without stirring for about 5 minutes or until the bottom starts to get crispy. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon lime juice and green onions. (Add any remaining lime juice to the bell pepper slaw.)
- Serve the quinoa tacos: Warm the tortillas**, or char them by placing a tortilla on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until slightly blackened and warm. Top the tortillas with the greens, quinoa filling, bell peppers, pickled onions, sour cream (mixed with a little hot sauce if desired) and feta crumbles. Serve immediately. If desired, serve with a side of Refried Black Beans.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
Keywords: Quinoa tacos, Quinoa taco filling, Vegetarian taco recipe, Taco Recipe, Vegetarian Dinner Ideas, Healthy Dinner Ideas, Vegan Dinner Ideas