Here is the very best easy potato soup you’ll find! Creamy and comforting, it’s made in minutes with no cream and no need for a blender. (Vegan variation: Go to Creamy Vegan Potato Soup.)
- 2 large shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour (or gluten free flour)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (purchased or homemade)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Topping ideas: Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, thinly sliced chives or green onions, shiitake bacon or coconut bacon, hot sauce
- Mince the shallots. Mince the garlic. Peel and dice the potatoes.
- In large pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Shake the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Slowly stir in the vegetable broth, adding it bit by bit and then stirring. Once incorporated add the milk, potatoes, kosher salt, and Old Bay.
- Bring to a simmer and cook on low heat for 25 minutes (make sure the heat is just at a simmer and does not boil). Stir often and scrape the bottom to make sure nothing sticks. The soup will get extremely creamy (make sure to keep stirring or a skin will form on the top). It’s done when the potatoes fall apart when you mash one against the side of the pot with your spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Use potato masher to break up the potatoes so that a creamy but chunky texture forms. Stir to incorporate the mashed potatoes. Then serve topped with toppings of your choice! Leftovers store refrigerated for up to 5 days: reheat on the stovetop and add a splash of milk if necessary.
- Serve with toppings.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Potato Soup, Potato Soup, Potato Soup Recipe, Best Potato Soup, Creamy Potato Soup