This vegetarian meatloaf is hearty and pleases even the most passionate of meat eaters! It’s a family favorite dinner party recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 3 ounces baby bella mushrooms (aka cremini)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 12 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the brown rice using Stovetop Brown Rice or Instant Pot Brown Rice. (You’ll need 1/2 cup dry rice to yield 1 1/2 cups cooked; or you cook 1 cup dry rice and save the leftovers.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place 1 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup cashews on a baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, finely chop 1 onion and mince 3 cloves garlic. Clean and finely chop the mushrooms. Finely chop the 2 tablespoons fresh parsley. When the nuts have cooled, finely chop them with a knife or in a food processor.
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon marjoram, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon sage. Cook about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat together 4 eggs.
- In the large bowl, combine the onion and mushroom mixture with the toasted walnuts and cashews, parsley, 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 cup cottage cheese, 12 ounces Swiss cheese, beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Butter a 9-inch loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and butter it again. Pour the mixture from the bowl into the pan.
- Bake 1 hour until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then invert loaf and remove from pan. Slice into pieces and serve warm. Leftovers can be stored for a few day in the refrigerator or a few months in the freezer (cut into pieces). Reheat in a 375F oven.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegetarian Meatloaf, Meatloaf, Vegetarian, Nuts, Cashews, Walnuts, Cheese, Dinner Party Recipes, Entertaining