Here’s the very best vegan shepherd’s pie! The hearty veggie and lentil filling contrasts fluffy potatoes in this stunning plant based dinner recipe.
- 1 recipe Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms (2 large mushroom caps)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 large carrots
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or cornstarch for gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils; see note*)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, for the garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start the mashed potatoes: Start the Vegan Mashed Potatoes recipe**. (You can also make these in advance; just reheat before spreading onto the filling to bake.)
- Prep the vegetables: Meanwhile, dice mushrooms into bite-sized chunks. Peel and slice the carrots into thin half-circles. Cut the onion into thin slivers length-wise (also called French cut; see the instructions in 1:40 of the linked video).
- Make the filling: In large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium high heat. Cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes until golden and tender. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the sliced onion and carrots. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cook 5 to 7 minutes until the onions are tender and just browning.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Stir in the flour (or cornstarch), fennel seeds, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and dried sage and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth, peas, lentils (drained if canned), soy sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook for about 5 minutes until the broth is very thick and the vegetables are heated through.
- Finish the mashed potatoes: When the potatoes are done cooking, mash them according to the instructions in that recipe.
- Bake: Pour the filling into a 2-quart small baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes in a layer on top. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are lightly browned. If desired, broil for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the top. Garnish with chopped rosemary and serve warm.
*If you can’t find canned lentils, cook your own lentils and add 1 1/2 cups of the cooked lentils to the filling. Use our Brown Lentils, Green Lentils, French Lentils, or Black Lentils recipes: you can cook them in water and omit the seasoning (or leave it for extra flavor!). Do cook with the kosher salt, but don’t add extra after cooking.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Shepherd's Pie