This vegan mushroom gravy is rich and creamy: you’ll want to pour it on everything! Savory mushrooms, garlic, fennel, and smoked paprika pack big flavor.
- 1/2 small yellow onion (1/2 cup minced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mushrooms (we used a mix of shiitake and baby bella aka cremini)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (for gluten-free, use 1 for 1 gluten free flour)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Finely mince the onion and garlic. Clean the mushrooms and finely chop them.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 6 to 7 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the soy sauce, then add the garlic, fennel, smoked paprika, sage and pepper and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour so the mushrooms are coated. Then add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and cook, bubbling rapidly, for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the almond milk and kosher salt. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. The gravy will continue to thicken as it cools. Taste and add an additional pinch or two of salt as necessary.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Mushroom Gravy, Vegan Country Gravy