You’ll never believe this creamy soup is vegan: it has the perfect velvety texture and is full of flavor. Here’s how to make our best vegan corn chowder!
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 ribs celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 2 pounds (6 medium) russet potatoes
- 6 ears corn, enough for 3 cups corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with water; allow them to soak while preparing the recipe.
- Dice the onion and celery. Peel and dice the carrots. Place the onion, celery and carrots together in a bowl.
- Mince the garlic. Peel and dice the potatoes. Place them in a separate bowl. Cut the corn from the cob, saving the cobs to simmer in the soup.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the corn cobs (broken into a few pieces, if necessary to fit in the pot), vegetable broth, water, soy sauce, smoked paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of the kosher salt, and black pepper. Bring to simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then remove the cobs from the soup.
- Drain the cashews. Using a 2-cup glass measuring cup with spout, carefully scoop out about 4 cups of the hot soup and place it in a blender, then add the drained cashews. Blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth and creamy. Return to the soup pot, then stir in the reserved corn kernels. Cook for 5 minutes until the corn is tender. Taste and the additional 1/4 teaspoon salt (or more if desired). Serve warm.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Corn Chowder, Vegetarian Corn Chowder, Corn Chowder Recipe