This tofu curry recipe is a family favorite! Coconut milk and red curry paste pack a punch in this fast and healthy dinner idea.
- Jasmine rice, for serving
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups long green beans
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste*
- 15-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Sambal oelek, Sriracha, or chili garlic sauce (optional), plus more to taste
- Start the jasmine rice (use Stovetop Jasmine Rice or Instant Pot Jasmine Rice).
- Pan fry the tofu: Pat the tofu dry with a towel. Cut it into large cubes (about 1/2 inch x 1 inch). Melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the tofu cubes and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and cook 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom. Briefly remove the pan from the heat to reduce spitting and flip the tofu with a spatula. Return the heat to medium high and cook another 5 to 6 minutes until browned. Remove the tofu to a bowl and set aside.
- Prep the veggies: While the tofu cooks, mince the onion. Mince the garlic. Thinly slice the bell pepper.
- Cook the curry: In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute 5 minutes, until it is translucent. Add the garlic, red pepper and green beans and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the bamboo shoots, red curry paste, coconut milk, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and Sambal oelek (if using). Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tofu and cook about 5 to 8 minutes until the sauce is thickened and the veggies are tender. Taste and add additional Sambal oelek to your desired spice level.
- Serve: To serve, spoon the tofu and sauce over rice. Store refrigerated for up to 3 days.
*The heat level for red curry pastes varies based on the brand. The brand we like, Thai Kitchen, is very mild. Taste your curry paste beforehand and add a little less if you’re worried about the heat level.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai inspired
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Tofu curry, Tofu curry recipe, Tofu red curry, tofu coconut curry