This sweet potato soup recipe is full of flavor! Peanut butter and spices help form a deliciously creamy soup base.
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups packed baby spinach leaves, washed (or chopped standard spinach leaves)
- Mild harissa
- 1/2 cup crushed peanuts
- Dice 1 onion and mince 3 cloves garlic. Peel the sweet potatoes, then slice them into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- Stir in 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1/4 cup peanut butter, garlic, 1 teaspoon turmeric, and 1 teaspoon cumin, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add sweet potatoes, 4 cups vegetable broth, and 1 1/2 cups water. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Once sweet potatoes are soft, blend the mixture with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender). Stir in ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Bring soup back to a simmer, and stir in the spinach leaves. Heat until wilted, about 1 minute.
- To serve, garnish with a dollop of harissa and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
You can substitute kale or chard for the spinach in this recipe; just cook the soup until the greens are tender (kale and chard take slightly longer to cook than spinach).
Harissa is a North African chili sauce that brings an integral flavor profile to the soup. Ours was a purchased mild red pepper harissa; spicy blends are also available if you’re looking for additional heat.
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet Potato Soup, Soup Recipe, Vegan Soup, Harissa, Harissa Recipe, Vegetarian Soup, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Sweet Potatoes