This healthy strawberry shortcake is top notch: the shortcakes have Greek yogurt to make them moist and turbinado sugar as a crunchy sweet topping.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup turbinado raw cane sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sweetened whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
- Fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, turbinado raw cane sugar, and kosher salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Grease 6 cups of a muffin tin, then pour in the batter equally to the 6 cups (or 8, for slightly smaller cakes). Sprinkle the tops of the cakes with extra turbinado sugar, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the tops are lightly browned. Let stand in the muffin tin 1 minute, then remove to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cakes bake, wash the strawberries, and slice them into a medium bowl. Stir in the sugar and balsamic vinegar, then let stand until serving, stirring occasionally.
- Make the whipped cream, using whipping cream or coconut milk.
- Thinly slice the mint (chiffonade). When ready to serve, cut the shortcakes in half. Spoon over strawberries, add whipped cream and fresh mint, and top with the remaining half.
Shortcake adapted from My Recipes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Strawberry Shortcake, How to make strawberry shortcake, Healthy strawberry shortcake, Strawberry Desserts, Strawberry Recipes