The shrub drink is a simple, refreshing beverage made with vinegar and fruit! Drink it as a cocktail or mocktail.
For the syrup (makes 1 1/2 cups, enough for 12 drinks)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fruit, chopped or muddled* (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, plums, apples, pears, etc)
- 1 cup sugar
- Optional: add whole herbs or spices like rosemary, mint, thyme, cardamom pods, peppercorns, star anise, etc
For the cocktail
- 1 ounce** shrub syrup
- 1 1/2 ounce gin or aquavit
- 1 teaspoon simple syrup or maple syrup
- 2 ounces sparkling water
For the mocktail
- 1 ounce shrub syrup
- 6 to 8 ounces sparkling water (to taste)
- Make the syrup (2 days): In a covered container, stir together the vinegar and sugar. Chop and/or muddle (lightly mash) the fruit and add it to the mixture, along with any whole herbs. Refrigerate for 2 days.
- Strain: Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a jar. Store the syrup refrigerated for up to 2 months.
- Make the drinks: When ready to drink, place the shrub syrup, optional gin or aquavit and simple syrup, and sparkling water in a glass and stir well. If desired, garnish with more fruit and herbs.
*Shown in the photograph is a blueberry mint shrub.
**1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- Category: Drink
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Cocktail
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Shrub drink, shrub cocktail, what is a shrub