This easy vegan gravy takes just 15 minutes to make and is full of savory flavor! Perfect for drowning a pile of mashed potatoes.
- 1 large shallot (1/3 cup minced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (for gluten-free, use 1 for 1 gluten free flour)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- Finely mince the shallot.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil and coconut oil. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes until tender. Add the fennel, thyme, and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots turn brown and the color turns golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the vegetable broth and stir until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the almond milk, salt and soy sauce. Taste and add additional salt until the flavor pops (we used about 1/2 teaspoon total). Remove from the heat and strain into a clean container. The gravy will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thanksgiving
Keywords: Vegan Gravy