Here’s how to make a classic piña colada: the sophisticated, grown up version of this tropical drink! For a simplified spin with a smoothie-like texture, go to Frozen Piña Colada.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 5 ounces (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) aged rum
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) cream of coconut (not coconut cream; see notes*)
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) pineapple juice
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lime juice
- For the garnish: cocktail cherry
- Blend pineapple and ice until chunky. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve garnished with a cocktail cherry and drink umbrellas.
*Cream of coconut is a special coconut product made for sweetening drinks, whereas coconut cream is unsweetened (read more at Cream of Coconut vs Coconut Cream). Don’t buy coconut cream or the drink will not taste sweetened! If you make this misstep and want to save your drink, you can add simple syrup to taste. You can also make a simplified version of this drink with coconut milk instead: go to Frozen Pina Colada.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: piña colada, piña colada ingredients