This favorite mushroom barley soup is full of vegetables, chewy barley, and warming broth. It’s a recipe for cozy on gray days!
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms
- 8 ounces baby bella (aka cremini) mushrooms*
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 2 cups of room temperature water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion. Peel and dice the carrots. Dice the celery. Slice the baby bella mushrooms. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced baby bella mushrooms, soy sauce, and basil. Cook 4 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook 5 to 6 minutes until softened. Stir in the barley and cook for 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and kosher salt.
- Bring to simmer and cook 25 to 30 minutes until barley is soft. Whenever the dried mushrooms are finished soaking (likely around when the simmering starts), remove and rinse them, then add them to the soup. Pour the remaining liquid through a fine-mesh strainer into the soup (this avoids any tough particles).
- Finish the remaining simmering time, then taste and add additional salt or pepper if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
*Substitute button mushrooms if you can’t find baby bella / cremini.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Barley Soup, Mushroom Barley Soup, Vegetable Barley Soup