This Moroccan chickpea stew is hearty and satisfying: packed with healthy vegetables and a savory blend of spices!
- 2 cups dry quinoa or 1 recipe Easy Couscous*
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 ¾ pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each paprika and ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground coriander, ground turmeric, and ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 3 cups baby spinach (or chopped spinach)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 lemon, for garnish
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, for garnish
- Make the quinoa using the stovetop method or Instant Pot method. When it’s done, sprinkle with a little kosher salt to taste.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Chop the sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté about 1 minute.
- Stir in the paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, kosher salt, black pepper, andcayenne pepper. Stir about 30 seconds, then add diced tomatoes and broth.
- Bring to a boil, then add sweet potatoes and drained and rinsed chickpeas. Simmer 25 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the spinach in the last 2 minutes.
- Serve over the quinoa, garnished with chopped cilantro, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: Moroccan Stew, Chickpea Stew, Moroccan Chickpea Stew