This Italian kale soup recipe with white beans is full of bold, Mediterranean flavor! Healthy and satisfying, it’s ready in just 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter (or olive oil)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 28-ounce cans diced fire roasted tomatoes*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried fennel seed, crushed with fingers, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale (or 1 large bunch curly kale), chopped
- Shredded Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese for serving, optional
- Prepare the onion and carrot as noted above.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and butter (or all olive oil) over medium high heat. Add the onion and carrots and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until tender.
- Add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth and beans. Bring to a steady simmer, then add 1 teaspoon of the fennel seed, along with the dried oregano, smoked paprika and kosher salt. Simmer 12 minutes. (Meanwhile, chop the kale.)
- Add the kale and simmer additional 2 to 3 minutes until the kale is tender. Add the additional 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seed. Taste a cooled spoonful and add up to 1/2 teaspoon additional kosher salt (depending on the salt level of your broth and beans), until the flavor pops.
- Serve immediately with grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese. Store refrigerated for 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
*If you can’t find fire roasted tomatoes, use the best canned tomatoes you can find. Add another 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon sugar, honey or maple syrup to round out the flavors.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Kale soup, kale soup recipe, white bean kale soup