Here’s the best easy loaded Instant Pot potato soup! It’s insanely creamy, a healthy spin with no heavy cream and no blender needed. (For vegan, go to Vegan Potato Soup.)
- 2 large shallots
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour (or 1-for-1 gluten free flour)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 garlic clove
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Topping ideas: Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, thinly sliced chives or green onions, bacon, shiitake bacon or coconut bacon, hot sauce
- Mince the shallots. Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Turn on Saute mode and add the butter to the Instant Pot. When it is melted, add the shallot and saute 4 to 5 minutes, until softened but before it browns.
- Add 2 cups vegetable broth and the potatoes. Lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the pressure release handle (vent) in the “Sealing” position.
- Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes: Press the Pressure Cook button, making sure the “High Pressure” setting is selected, and set the time. Note that it takes about 10 minutes for the pot to “preheat” and come up to pressure before it starts cooking. (During cooking, avoid touching the metal part of the lid.)
- Quick release: Vent the remaining steam from the Instant Pot by moving the pressure release handle to “Venting”, covering your hand with a towel or hot pad. Never put your hands or face near the vent when releasing steam. Open the pressure cooker lid.
- Meanwhile, add the flour to a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup vegetable broth until the flour is combined. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the flour mixture to cooked potatoes and add the salt, Old Bay seasoning, grated garlic, and fresh ground pepper. Stir until potatoes are mashed and creamy, like the consistency of chunky mashed potatoes. Then stir in the milk until smooth.
- Turn on Saute mode again and cook for 2 minutes until soup is warmed through. Turn off the Instant Pot and serve immediately, garnished with the desired toppings.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Potato Soup, Loaded Potato Soup