There’s nothing better than homemade herb cream cheese! Packed with fresh herbs, it’s an easy appetizer or spread for bagels.
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, or half chives and half fresh basil or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream or 1/2 tablespoon milk, to soften (optional)
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened. Leave it out at room temperature for 1 hour, or place it on a plate in the microwave, cook 5 seconds, flip over the block of cheese and cook another 5 seconds. (If it’s not room temperature at this point, cook another few seconds, but air on the conservative side.)
- Chop the herbs. Mix everything together in a bowl, adding a little Greek yogurt, milk or sour cream 1 tablespoon at a time if you’d like a fluffier, more spreadable texture (we used 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt).
- Whipped alternative: Make whipped cream cheese by adding 1/2 tablespoon milk and whipping the cream cheese in a food processor or stand mixer. Then add the chopped herbs and pulse until combined.
*You can use any mix of fresh herbs you like, to total 1/4 cup. Oregano and thyme also work well. Make it simpler and use just chives for the most economical choice. Make sure to still use the dried dill to complete the herbaceous flavor. You can also substitute 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil for the fresh herbs: it tastes different but still good!
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Cheese
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Herb cream cheese