This simple corn soup is a seasonal way to enjoy fresh corn! The sunny flavor is sweet and nuanced, and it’s full of healthy vegetables.
- 6 large ears corn (about 4 cups corn kernels, cut off the cob)
- 1 cup diced white onion (1 medium white onion)
- 2 celery ribs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (substitute olive oil or coconut oil for vegan)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, dried basil, and dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- For the garnish: sour cream or vegan sour cream (optional), cheese (optional), chopped red pepper or tomato, thinly sliced shallot or chives, torn basil, etc
- Cut the corn off of the cob. Optional: To infuse even more corn flavor, make a quick corn broth by placing two of the cobs with corn cut off in a medium bowl. Cover with 2 cups boiling water (it’s easy to use a teapot to heat), then let it sit until adding the water in Step 4.
- Finely dice the onion. Chop the celery. Mince the garlic. Finely dice the potatoes.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook additional minute.
- Add the corn, potatoes, broth, water, thyme, basil, oregano, and kosher salt and bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, simmer 10 to 12 minutes until potatoes are soft. Taste and add up to another 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and some fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Blend partially with an immersion blender so it’s partially creamy and part chunky, or transfer to blender and pulse several times (taking care of the hot soup). You can also eat as is for a broth texture, or fully puree for a completely smooth texture.
- Serve warm, with the garnishes. Add sour cream or cheese for a more filling bowl, if desired.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Corn soup