This insanely tasty falafel burger is easy and bursting with Mediterranean flavor! Smother in sauce for an epic vegetarian or vegan dinner.
For the falafel burgers (double to make leftovers*)
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 large carrot
- ½ red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems, loosely packed (or parsley)
- 6 tablespoons flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil (for frying)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dab the chickpeas with a paper towel to remove extra moisture, then place them in the bowl of a food processor. Add the sesame seeds, then process until a paste-like consistency is formed. (If you don’t have a food processor, use a potato masher or fork to mash them in a bowl until they’re mostly mashed.) Scrape the mixture into a bowl.
- Add the carrot, red onion, garlic, and cilantro to the bowl of the food processor; pulse until finely ground. (If you don’t have a food processor, use a large size grater to grate the onion and carrot, then finely grate the garlic and finely chop the cilantro.) Scrape the vegetables into the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, coriander, kosher salt, and black pepper. Mix with a spoon until combined, then form 4 round patties and place them on a baking sheet.
- In a medium frying pan, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Carefully add the patties to the pan. If you have one, top with a splatter screen. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown on one side. Flip and fry for another 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown, turning down the heat as necessary.
- Transfer the patties to a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and baked through. Remove the patties from the oven and let them cool for at least 15 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, make the falafel sauce. To serve, place on a bun with tomato, cucumber, red onion, and lettuce, and top with sauce. The burgers save well in the refrigerator for 1 week, so they’re great to make ahead and eat throughout the week. They also freeze well!
*It’s easy to make 8 and freeze the rest for eating later: they also save well refrigerated for up to 1 week. Just double everything!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Falafel burger