This easy pumpkin soup uses canned pumpkin as a shortcut, and is thickened with lentils to make it more filling. Top with sour cream and crunchy croutons!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream, plus more to serve (substitute Vegan Sour Cream or coconut milk for vegan)
- Homemade Croutons*, to serve
- Roasted salted pepitas, to serve
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic.
- Heat a dry soup pot (no oil!) to medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until lightly browned and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add pumpkin, broth, lentils, cumin, oregano, ginger, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then simmer for 15 minutes, until lentils are softened.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend with the sour cream until smooth. Taste and add additional salt as necessary (we added about 1/8 teaspoon additional) — remember to cool it off since being very hot can dull flavors.
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with homemade croutons, pepitas, and more sour cream.
*We made this recipe, then sprinkled about 2 tablespoons Everything Bagel seasoning on the top before roasting. Much of the seasoning did fall off, but the crunchy bits and fallen off portions were great as an additional garnish!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Fall
Keywords: Pumpkin Soup, Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe