Here’s a classic New Year’s Eve recipe: shrimp cocktail! It stars perfectly tender shrimp and a zesty cocktail sauce that will have everyone begging for the recipe.
For the shrimp
- 1 pound large 16 to 20 count shrimp (tail-on and deveined)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 lemon
- Lemon wedges, for serving
For the shrimp cocktail sauce
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Thaw the shrimp (place it in the refrigerator over night, or day of place it in a strainer and allow a steady stream of cold water to defrost it for about 15 minutes).
- Bring 12 cups of water to boil with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and lemon juice from the 1/2 lemon.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Add the shrimp and cook about 2 minutes (more or less time depending on size of shrimp), until bright pink and cooked through. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and place it directly into the ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- Meanwhile, stir together the Shrimp Cocktail Sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust horseradish to your preference.
- Remove the shells from the shrimp, leaving the shell of the tail on. Discard the shells.
- Pat the shrimp dry, and sprinkle it with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and few squirts from lemon wedges.
- Serve on a platter over ice with lemon wedges and shrimp cocktail sauce.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: New Year's Eve Recipes, Shrimp Cocktail