This cabbage soup recipe is easy with big, bold flavor! Cozy up to a bowl of this veggie-packed healthy soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 medium carrots, small diced
- 2 celery ribs, small diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder and dried basil
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried thyme
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, shredded (6 to 7 cups)
- 15-ounce can white beans
- 28-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes* (or best quality crushed tomatoes)
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the butter or olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until the celery is tender and the vegetables have released their juices.
- Add the garlic, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add the cabbage, white beans, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley.
*Can’t find fire roasted tomatoes? Substitute the best quality crushed tomatoes you can find. If you’d like, add an extra 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika to the broth.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Cabbage soup, cabbage soup recipe