These delicious savory waffles with chives come out perfectly fluffy! Top with white cheddar cheese and a runny poached egg.
For the savory waffles
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
For the topping
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Pure maple syrup, for drizzling
- Heat waffle iron on high heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the white whole wheat flour, baking powder, and kosher salt; mix to combine.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Add the milk and microwave for another minute. Whisk the egg into to the wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined; do not overmix (batter can be lumpy).
- Chop the chives; add 2 tablespoons to the batter and reserve 1 tablespoon for the garnish.
- Immediately, add the batter into the center of the waffle iron and let it spread it to within 1/2-inch of the sides, then cook according to the waffle iron’s instructions. Remove the cooked waffles and place them on a baking sheet without stacking. Make the waffles to order, or place cooked waffles in a 300°F oven to keep warm.
- Poach the 4 eggs for the topping.
- When ready to serve, place the waffle on a plate and drizzle with a bit of maple syrup. Top with a poached egg, grated white cheddar cheese, and the remaining chopped chives.
- Cooked waffles can be frozen; place them in a plastic bag and remove the remaining air with a straw before sealing. To reheat, remove from the freezer and lightly toast in a toaster.
Adapted from The Faux Martha
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Savory Waffles, Waffle Recipe, Brunch Recipes, Cheddar Waffles, Chive Waffles, Recipes with Chives