This white bean soup is full of irresistible flavor, thanks to kale, lemon and tarragon! This healthy recipe will become an instant favorite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound yellow or Yukon Gold potatoes, small diced
- 3 15-ounce cans (4 1/2 cups cooked) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or Great Northern, navy, butter or other white bean)
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon*
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 5 to 6 leaves Tuscan kale, chopped into small pieces
- Prep the fresh ingredients (see above).
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until just browned, about 1 minute. Add the potato, drained and rinsed white beans, vegetable broth, lemon zest, dried tarragon, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove 3 cups of the hot soup (including broth and vegetables) and carefully blend it in a blender or immersion blender. Then pour it back into the pot to create a lightly creamy broth (you can skip this step if you prefer and it still tastes great!).
- Stir in the chopped kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes more. Taste and add any additional salt, to taste (depending on your brand of vegetable broth). Eat immediately or save leftovers refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
*We highly recommend grabbing dried tarragon at the store if you don’t regularly stock it in your pantry: it makes the soup! In a pinch, substitute dried sage or thyme.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: White bean soup, white bean soup recipe, white bean and kale soup