The secret to vegan taco meat that pleases everyone? This walnut taco meat is beyond delicious in tacos, salads, & more.
- 2 cups whole walnuts*
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (or coconut aminos for soy free)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon each smoked paprika**, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Roughly chop the mushrooms. Place them in a large food processor, then add the walnuts and tamari, ketchup, cumin, spices, and salt. Pulse gently multiple times until everything is evenly chopped, being careful not to over process (or it will be too mushy). If you don’t have a food processor, use a chef’s knife to roughly chop everything and place in a bowl with the spices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring until it releases all of its liquid then becomes dry and browned. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Taste and add more salt to taste if desired. Store refrigerated for 1 week or freeze on a sheet pan, then place in a sealed container and freeze up to 3 months.
*It also works with 1 cup walnuts and same amount of mushrooms: reduce the kosher salt to 1/4 teaspoon and then add more to taste.
**If you can’t find smoked paprika, you can substitute chili powder here.
- Category: Essentials
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan taco meat, walnut taco meat