The delicious vegetarian shepherd’s pie is a savory pie recipe filled with french lentils and veggies, and topped with Parmesan mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus additional for topping
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 11/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus additional for topping
- 1 pound French lentils (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 medium or 2 large carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel the potatoes, then dice them and place them in a bowl. Chop the rosemary very finely, making sure it is as small as possible; set aside an additional small amount (about 1/8 teaspoon) for the topping. Once the water is boiling, slide the potatoes into the water and boil 10 minutes until tender (test with a fork). Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash the potatoes, then add milk, butter, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, and fresh rosemary. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place the French lentils into a large saucepan or pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 25 minutes until tender. Drain any excess liquid.
- Mince 2 cups onion. Peel and dice the carrots. Dice the celery and mince the garlic.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a very large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and saute for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute until translucent. Add the lentils, broth, miso dissolved in 1/2 cup water, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, corn, peas, sage, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook until most of the liquid cooks down but the filling is still moist, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place the lentil filling in a 9 x 13” pan, then using a spatula, spread the mashed potatoes over the lentils in a smooth layer. Top with a thin layer of Parmesan cheese and the reserved rosemary. Bake for 25 minutes. If desired, broil for a few minutes until browned on top. Serve warm from the oven.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: Shepherd's Pie, Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie, Savory Pie Recipe, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Thanksgiving Recipes