Here’s how to make a vegan poke bowl! You’ll be surprised at how much flavor comes from marinaded beet poke, colorful veggies and spicy mayo.
For the beet poke
- 6 medium beets (or pre-cooked beets, as a time saver*)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
For the poke bowl
- Cook the beets*: Use How to Boil Beets (takes about 40 minutes total) or Instant Pot Beets (takes 25 minutes). Peel the beets according to the recipe, then slice them into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Make the rice: Make the rice on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot. When it’s done, give it a few shakes of rice vinegar and stir in salt to taste. (Or, make the rice in advance and reheat it on the stovetop with a splash of water.)
- Season the beets: When they’re cooked, place the beets in a bowl and stir together the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, grated garlic, ginger, minced green onion, and kosher salt.
- Prepare the veggies: Thinly slice the green onions and radishes. Slice the avocado. Julienne the carrots (or peel strips with a veggie peeler). Sprinkle all the veggies with salt.
- Serve: Place the veggies and rice in a bowl. Top with the beet poke and garnish the poke with sesame seeds. Drizzle with Spicy Mayo and serve.
*Many grocery stores now carry pre-cooked beets that are packaged and ready to eat. Buy these for a time saver in this recipe!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Poke Bowl