Here’s how to make vegan pie crust! This flaky pastry can be made using coconut oil or vegan butter, and no one would guess it’s plant-based.
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons refined coconut oil or vegan butter (not margarine!)
- 6 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- In a medium bowl, mix the all purpose flour, kosher salt, and baking powder. Use a grater or microplane to large grate the vegan butter into the bowl with the dry ingredients (it will look like shredded cheese!), or drop small blobs of the coconut oil into the flour mixture. Then stir it gently with a spatula to coat the butter or coconut oil with the flour.
- Sprinkle 6 tablespoons ice water over the flour, mixing gradually with a fork until the dough sticks together. Add additional water by the tablespoon until the dough comes together with your hands, but is not sticky (add a bit more water or flour if necessary). Form the dough into a ball and refrigerate in a covered container until the filling is ready, or at least 30 minutes.
- If you have a pastry cloth, set it up and dust it with flour; otherwise, flour a clean work surface. Put on a rolling pin cover (optional), and coat the pin in extra flour. Place one ball of dough on the cloth and roll it evenly from the center to the edge, until the dough is about ⅛-inch thick. Trim the dough to an even 12-inch circle with a pizza cutter (which corresponds to the 9-inch circle on the pastry cloth).
- Using a rolling pin, transfer the dough to 9-inch pie pan (standard sized, not deep dish). Gently center and push the pastry towards the bottom of the pan. Fold the 1-inch of overhanging dough backwards and seal it to form a rim. Using your index finger and thumb from one hand and a knuckle from your other hand, crimp the edges of the crust.
- Storage instructions: To store, cover the shell in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate it until ready to fill, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan pie crust, vegan pie crust recipe