Want meatballs without the meat? This vegan spaghetti and meatballs is the best recipe you’ll find: complete with vegan Parmesan on top.
- 1 cup One Degree Organic sprouted rolled oats
- 1 pound medium red potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8-ounces spaghetti noodles, gluten-free if necessary
- High quality marinara sauce, Homemade Spaghetti Sauce, or Easy Marinara Sauce
- Vegan Parmesan
- Boil 1/2 cup water. Place the oats in a bowl and cover with the boiling water. Soak 5 minutes until the water is fully absorbed.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the red potatoes, leaving the skin on. Chop them into quarters and place them in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the texture is evenly chopped and has a consistency like rice (scrape once and pulse again to ensure there are no large chunks). Transfer the potatoes to a clean, dry towel and squeeze out the moisture by wringing the towel a few times (using a dark towel is best because the red skin can color the towel). Then measure out 1 1/2 cups of the chopped potatoes (discard any remaining).
- Peel the garlic. To the food processor, add the cashews and garlic and process until finely chopped. Add the potatoes, soaked oats, oregano, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, kosher salt, and black pepper. Pulse a few times until fully combined.
- Form the potato mixture into about 1-inch wide balls by squeezing the dough together, then rolling it lightly, making about 28 in all. Place the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet. When ready to fry, cover the entire bottom of a large frying pan with a layer olive oil and heat at just over medium heat. Place the balls into the oil; it should lightly bubble when the balls meet the oil (if not, adjust the heat). Fry the balls in two batches, turning each one frequently until all sides are golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Take care of the hot oil, as it may spit. Remove the balls to a plate lined with paper towels. (Alternatively, you can bake the balls in a 400F oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, then flip and brush with olive oil; bake another 25 minutes until browned and crisp.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Boil the pasta until al dente, following the package instructions. If the pasta finishes before the meatballs, place it back into the pan with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Serve the meatballs with the pasta covered in high-quality marinara sauce (your favorite brand, or homemade if desired), and top with Vegan Parmesan.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Vegan Meatballs, vegan pasta, vegetarian pasta