Kale and chickpeas make for a hearty sweet potato stew, while the coconut milk adds just the right amount of smoothness to this cozy and delicious recipe.
- 2 cups dry brown rice, for serving
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3/4 pound kale
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
- 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions (or use our Instant Pot rice method).
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Mince the ginger. Wash and roughly chop the kale. Dice the sweet potato into bite-sized cubes.
- Prepare the soup: In a large pot, heat at about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cook the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, turmeric and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes. Then add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Once the stew is simmering, add the kale and chickpeas. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve over brown rice.
Inspired by Joy the Baker
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato stew