Here’s how to make a vegan chai latte as good as a coffee shop! There’s a secret to getting the perfect foam topping with dairy free milk.
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Chai Spices
- 1 1/2 cups regular oat milk (unflavored)
- 1 bag black tea (or 1 teaspoon loose leaf black tea in a tea strainer)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (or simple syrup)
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, whisk together chai spices, 1 cup of oat milk and the tea bag and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove it from the heat and allow it to rest for 1 minute. Then strain through a fine mesh strainer* into one or two mugs (one for a large latte and two for small).
- Rinse the saucepan. Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk and maple syrup. Heat the milk to 150 degrees Fahrenheit (measure using a thermometer): this is hot with some small bubbles forming around the outside, but not simmering. The exact temperature is helpful for getting the perfect foam (if you don’t have a thermometer you can approximate).
- Use hand frother, whisk, or French press to foam the milk. The French press is a favorite method: Add the scalding milk to the french press and pump vigorously until frothy, about 25 times. Do not overwhip, as the foam will deflate! (Go to How to Froth Milk for more.)
- Pour the milk and foam evenly between the mugs (or into 1 mug). Sprinkle with additional chai spices and serve.
*You can skip straining if desired: the spices will settle to the bottom of the drink.
- Category: Drink
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan chai latte, how to make a vegan chai latte