The ultimate vegan burrito! A flavor-packed plant based lunch or dinner idea, it’s stuffed with Mexican rice, seasoned black beans and peppers, and avocado.
- 2 cups cooked Spanish Rice* or Instant Pot Spanish Rice (or 2 cups cooked rice mixed with salsa, to taste)
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 avocado
- 4 large flour tortillas or gluten-free tortillas
- Sauce ideas (optional): Creamy Cilantro Sauce, Vegan Queso, Spicy Chipotle Sauce, Chipotle Cream, Spicy Mayo, Vegan Sour Cream, Cashew Cream
- Start the Spanish Rice (aka Mexican Rice).
- Meanwhile, remove the stems from the mushroom caps and thinly slice them. Thinly slice the red onion. Thinly slice the bell pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the veggies for 6 to 7 minutes until tender. Add the black beans (drained and rinsed), garlic powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, kosher salt, lime juice, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook for 2 minutes until heated through and the liquid evaporates.
- Pit the avocado. Mash it and sprinkle it with kosher salt.
- When the rice is done, finish it with the seasonings per that recipe. Then get ready to roll!
- Place the tortillas on individual plates. Spread 1/2 cup rice on each one, at the center. Top each with about a quarter of the vegetable and bean mixture, and a quarter of the avocado. (Add any optional sauce if desired.) Fold the tortillas in half over the filling, then tuck them around and underneath the filling, forming a tight roll. Fold in each side of the burritos, then roll them up. Cut in half and serve.
*You’ll have lots of leftovers, which you can use throughout the week or make into Spanish rice and beans by adding black, pinto, or kidney beans.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegan burrito