Yep, these are the best vegan biscuits and gravy! A thick, peppery mushroom gravy coats impossibly flaky biscuits. All we can say is: wow.
- 1 recipe Best Vegan Biscuits
- 1/2 small yellow onion (1/2 cup minced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mushrooms (we use a mix of shiitake and baby bella)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (for gluten-free, use 1 for 1 gluten free flour)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Make the Vegan Biscuits.
- Finely mince the onion and garlic. Finely chop the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 6 to 7 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the soy sauce, then add the garlic, fennel, smoked paprika, sage and pepper and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour so the mushrooms are coated. Then add the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and cook, bubbling rapidly, for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the almond milk and kosher salt. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. The gravy will continue to thicken as it cools. Taste and add an additional pinch or two of salt as necessary.
*Prep time & cook time are for gravy only.
- Category: Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Biscuits and Gravy, Biscuits and Gravy, Plant Based Gravy