This 5-star tortellini soup is lusciously creamy! It’s easy and under 30 minutes, with big flavor from tomatoes, spinach, and Parmesan.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28-ounce fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach (or chopped standard spinach), packed
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves (about 6 to 8 large leaves)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half or whole milk)*
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 to 16 ounces frozen or refrigerated tortellini, any flavor
- Dice the onion. Mince the garlic.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 to 6 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, herbs and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, basil leaves, heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Bring to simmer and add the tortellini. Cook according to the package instructions: about 2 to 3 minutes for refrigerated and 3 to 5 minutes for frozen. Taste and add additional salt as desired (we added another 1/4 teaspoon). Serve immediately.
- Make ahead and storage: Store leftovers refrigerated. The pasta does soak up quite a bit of the broth, so you may want to add a splash of water when reheating. If you make it ahead, we recommend making the soup without the tortellini; then heat it up and cook the pasta right before serving.
*Vegan variation: use vegan tortellini and substitute 1/2 cup Cashew Cream for the heavy cream and Parmesan, adding more to taste as desired.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Tortellini soup, creamy tortellini soup