The definition of cozy in a bowl, this tortellini soup is easy to put together and its hearty flavor pleases everyone at the table!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 14-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 9 ounces good-quality fresh tortellini (aka tortelloni, found in the refrigerated section)
- 1 handful basil leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Mince the garlic. Dice the onion. Peel the carrot; chop the carrot and celery into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and saute the onion and garlic with the tomato paste and paprika over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute for another 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes and vegetable broth to the pan with the kosher salt and several grinds of black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid ajar for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the tortellini to the pan and cook according to the package instructions, before stirring in the basil leaves.
- Serve hot topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of oil. (We had fresh thyme on hand, so we garnished with that as well!)
Reprinted with permission from Little Green Kitchen by David Frenkiel and Liuise Vindahl
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Tortellini soup, Italian recipes, Italian soup recipes, Vegetarian soup recipes