This classic tomato soup recipe is full of bold flavor: easy to make and perfectly seasoned! Serve with grilled cheese for a cozy meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can and 1 15-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, 1 splash heavy cream
- Gourmet grilled cheese, for serving (optional!)
- Heat the olive oil to medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until light brown and fragrant. Stir in both cans of tomatoes, vegetable broth, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and basil (if using). Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 15 to 20 minutes until slightly thickened and the tomato flavor mellows. Then immersion blend the soup or carefully transfer to a blender and blend until smooth (this step makes it creamier; you can skip this step if you’re ok with the texture as is).
- Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons salted butter. For a richer soup, you can also stir in a splash of heavy cream.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Tomato soup recipe