This recipe is the creamiest, coziest tomato gnocchi soup you can imagine! Filled with pillowy potato gnocchi and topped with Parmesan, it’s the stuff dreams are made of.
- 1 large yellow onion (1 1/2 cup diced)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 28-ounce can DeLallo San Marzano Style Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 16-ounce package DeLallo Mini Potato Gnocchi (or standard gnocchi; for gluten free use DeLallo’s gluten free gnocchi)
- Parmesan cheese, to garnish (if desired, omit for vegan or use Vegan Parmesan Cheese)
- Chop the onion. Mince the garlic. Chop the basil leaves.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes; sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add the white wine vinegar and saute until evaporated.
- Add the basil, canned tomatoes and their liquid, broth, kosher salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. When done, remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until creamy.*
- Return to a simmer over medium heat. Add the gnocchi and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they float, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick together or to the bottom.
- Serve in bowls, allowing them to cool a few minutes until warm (soup tastes best warm, not pipping hot). Serve with chopped basil and Parmesan cheese (if desired; not required).
*For a creamy variation, add 1/2 cup Greek yogurt during the blending stage!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Soup, Vegetarian Soup, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Italian Soup, Gnocchi, Gnocchi Soup,