This tasty tofu stir fry recipe is our go-to for healthy plant based dinners! It’s got the best stir fry sauce, and you can use any veggies.
For the stir fry sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the tofu stir fry
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, stem on (about 3 large heads or 6 heaping cups florets)*
- 1 red bell pepper (or half red and half orange)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 14-ounces firm or extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- Start the rice: If serving with rice, start the rice.
- Make the sauce: Whisk together the stir fry sauce ingredients in a medium bowl, or make the sauce in advance and refrigerate until cooking.
- Chop the veggies: Chop the broccoli into florets. Thinly slice the pepper. Remove the shiitake stems and thinly slice them, if using. Thinly slice the green onion. Peel and grate the ginger.
- Cook the tofu: Cut the tofu into bite sized pieces (1-inch squares, 3/8-inch thick and pat it dry with a towel. Add the oil to a large non-stick pan and add the tofu cubes and a few pinches kosher salt. Turn on the heat to medium-high. Cook 5 to 6 minutes until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Flip the tofu: Briefly remove the pan from the heat to reduce spitting. Flip the tofu with chopsticks (the easiest method!) or tongs. Return the heat to medium-high and cook 5 to 6 minutes until browned. Remove the tofu to a bowl and set it aside.
- Stir fry the veggies: Add another 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the broccoli, pepper, and shiitake mushrooms and two pinches salt and cook 6 to 7 minutes until just starting to brown on edges, stirring occasionally. In the last minute, add 1 tablespoon water and allow the vegetables to steam.
- Turn down the heat to low. Add the green onion and ginger and cook 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Add the tofu and sauce and stir until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately. Store leftovers up to 3 days refrigerated.
- Category: Stir Fry
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Tofu stir fry