This easy tofu ramen recipe features crispy pan-fried tofu and a slurpable miso broth! It’s a delicious plant based dinner recipe.
- 12 to 16 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons white, light, or yellow miso paste, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots
- 8 ounces dry ramen noodles
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Prep the tofu: Remove the tofu from the package and drain liquid. Cut tofu into half lengthwise and place it in a large bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, which helps to extract liquid. Drain off excess liquid released in the microwave. Place the two pieces on a towel; place another folded towel on top and add a cutting board and a heavy object. Allow to press for 15 minutes until the water is drained.
- Prep the veggies: Slice the onion. Slice the mushrooms. Thinly slice the cabbage. Thinly slice the green onions. Thinly slice the garlic. Slice carrots into matchsticks.
- Cook the tofu: Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the tofu and cook for about 10 minutes until lightly browned and crisp on all sides, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, stir together 2 tablespoons miso, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon water. When the tofu is browned, turn off heat and carefully pour sauce over tofu (be careful, it splatters!). Stir sauce onto tofu and cook additional minute over medium heat until fragrant.
- Cook the noodles (while you make the broth): Heat large pot of water to a boil and cook noodles to al dente. Drain and set aside. If necessary, refresh the noodles under some hot tap water before serving.
- Make the broth: In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook 4 minutes until lightly browned on the edges. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until just browned, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, mirin, and 3 tablespoons miso paste and cook about 10 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and the coconut milk, green onions, cabbage, spinach and cook until the spinach is just wilted, about 1 minute. Taste and add about 1 tablespoon more miso paste to taste.
- Serve: To serve, place the noodles into four bowls. Top with the broth, tofu, and vegetables. Store leftovers with the broth and noodles in separate containers (to avoid the noodles soaking up all of the broth).
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Ramen
Keywords: Tofu Ramen