This vegan BLT is a veggie sandwich that should really be called a TLT: it stars temeph bacon as a plant based alternative to bacon.
For the tempeh bacon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 3 grinds black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh
For the vegan BLT
- In a small bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1½ tablespoons liquid smoke, 1 tablespoon Sriracha, ¼ teaspoon cumin, 3 grinds black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup.
- Cut the tempeh in half; stand each piece up on its edge and cut into thirds. Lay the three pieces down on top of each other and cut in thirds again, to make 18 slices that are ¼” thick, 1” wide and 3” long. Place the strips in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the tempeh. Let sit for 30 minutes (or more, if time). Remove the tempeh and reserve the marinade from the bottom of the dish.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat. Place the tempeh strips on the griddle and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until browned. Turn off the heat, then brush both sides of each piece with the reserved marinade.
- Lightly toast 8 slices of bread. If using canned tomatoes, drain the canned tomatoes and let them sit in a colander for a few minutes to remove excess liquid. Prepare 8 leaves of Bibb lettuce.
- To serve, spread mayonnaise on each bread slice. Top with lettuce, tomato, and slices of tempeh. Top with a final bread slice and serve immediately. (Tip: Placing the lettuce below the tomato shields the bread from any remaining tomato liquid.)
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan BLT, Vegan Sandwich, Vegetarian Sandwich, Lunch Recipes, Veggie Sandwich, Plant Based Lunch Recipes, Plant Based Dinner Recipes