This tart cherry galette is easy and oh so delicious. Drizzled with dark chocolate, it’s one of the tastiest chocolate cherry desserts around.
- 1 Rye Pie Crust or Go-To Galette Dough
- 2 cups frozen Montmorency tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Before you assemble the pie, make the rye crust (or make it in advance and freeze it).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the tart cherries, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. When it comes to a simmer, simmer for 3 minutes until the cherries are heated through. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch into 1 tablespoon water, then stir into the mixture and heat another 2 minutes until the juices have thickened into a thick sauce.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rough circle about 12 inches across. Place the dough on the parchment paper. Arrange the cherries in the middle of the dough and spread to within 1 inch of the edge of the crust. Fold the edge of the dough over the cherries.
- Melt the butter and brush it over the top of the dough. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- When the galette is cooled, place about 1 inch of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Measure out 1/4 cup chocolate chips, then remove a small handful. Heat the remaining chocolate in a small saucepan set over the pan of boiling water, being careful not to let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir constantly until just melted. Add the remaining chips and stir until the chocolate is completely smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate into a zipper-lock bag and close to seal, then snip the tip to make a very small opening. Drizzle the chocolate back and forth over the galette. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes before serving (or serve immediately, if you just can’t wait).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Cherry galette, Chocolate cherry desserts,