This sweet potato dinner skillet features crispy shredded sweet potatoes, leafy greens, eggs and feta cheese, served up as a simple vegetarian dinner.
- 12-inch skillet, cast iron if possible
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbles
- 4 eggs
- Wash the sweet potatoes, and peel the garlic. In a food processor, shred the potatoes (with the skins on) and the garlic. If you don’t have a food processor, grate the sweet potato with the large side of a box grater, and then mince the garlic. Wash the chard, then cut it into thin strips (chiffonade).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Sauté for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sweet potatoes are tender but not crispy (make sure to stir enough that the potatoes do not stick to the bottom of the skillet). Add the chard and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in half of the feta cheese. Then crack the eggs into the skillet and sprinkle the top with the remaining feta crumbles. Broil on high for 4 to 6 minutes until the egg whites are solid. Serve immediately. (To make this a full dinner, we’d serve with a side salad and corn muffins or bread. Note that the sweet potatoes result in a soft, not crispy fried, texture.)
Inspired by Edible Perspective
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet potato dinner skillet, Sweet potato and feta recipe, Sweet potato dinner recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Recipes, Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes, Skillet Recipes