This vegetarian sweet potato chili recipe is all star and a family favorite! It’s a delicious healthy dinner recipe where you won’t miss the meat.
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 28-ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 3 15-ounce cans pinto, black, or pinto beans, or 4 1/2 cups cooked chili beans, cooked using this method
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup masa harina (optional)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Garnishes: Hot sauce, sour cream (or vegan sour cream or cashew cream), sliced green onions, shredded cheese
- Dice the onion. Dice the green pepper. Dice the sweet potatoes into a small dice (cubes about 1/2-inch thick). Make sure to cut the sweet potatoes as directed so they cook quickly and to obtain the correct chili consistency. Mince the garlic.
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot (at least 5 quarts), heat the olive oil. Sauté onion, peppers and sweet potatoes on medium-high heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Then turn down the heat to medium low.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes and their liquid, beans, corn, vegetable broth, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, cocoa powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Stir, then cover and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the 25 minutes, mix the masa harina with ½ cup water and stir it together in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the chili to thicken, and cook 10 minutes more. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Season with additional kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Thinly slice the green onions. Divide the chili into individual bowls and garnish with hot sauce, sour cream, green onions, and sour cream. Store leftovers refrigerated or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet Potato Chili, Chili Recipes, Vegetarian Dinner Ideas, Vegan Dinner Ideas, Best Chili, Healthy Dinner Ideas