Move this vegetarian meatballs recipe to the top of your healthy dinner ideas list! Served over noodles, it’s top notch Mediterranean food.
- 14 ounces baby spinach or 9 ounces frozen, cooked spinach, thawed
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oat flour (process 1/2 cup rolled oats in a food processor or blender) or bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for cooking, optional)
- 10 ounces dry spaghetti (gluten-free, if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground pepper
- If using fresh baby spinach, add to a large saucepan with a small splash of water. Place over medium-low heat and cover with a lid. Cook until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes, then rinse under cold running water. Squeeze the spinach out over the sink to remove as much liquid as possible, then coarsely chop and set aside. (Tip: using frozen spinach helps cut prep time; we’ll try that next time.)
- In a medium bowl, mix the feta, dried herbs, a generous amount of black pepper, the egg, and oat flour or bread crumbles together. Stir in the chopped spinach, then scoop heaping tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls. You should get about 20 balls. You can either place them on a baking sheet lined with nonstick parchment paper and bake in an oven preheated to 350ºF for 20 to 25 minutes, or fry them over medium heat in 2 batches, in 2 tablespoons oil per batch, turning, until golden on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes. (Tip: we tried it both ways, and found the baked version was easiest!)
- Boil the pasta, then drain.
- Return the pasta to the pan off the heat, then stir in the butter, soy sauce, or tamari, and shredded zucchini. Toss with halved cherry tomatoes and serve.
Note: If you have leftover vegetarian meatballs, you can repurpose them as falafel in a sandwich or salad. As a fun optional topping, sprinkle with Parmesan shavings or Vegan Parmesan Cheese!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: vegetarian meatballs recipe, vegetarian meatballs