This spinach tortellini soup is easy and bursting with flavor! Veggies, herbs and Parmesan cheese make a deliciously savory broth.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, small diced
- 1 fennel bulb, small diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and small diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28-ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini or tortelloni
- 4 cups (4 ounces) baby spinach (or chopped standard spinach)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- To garnish: grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, fennel, and garlic and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, Parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tortellini or tortelloni and the baby spinach and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Season with fresh ground black pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese.
*Can’t find fire-roasted tomatoes? Substitute the best quality canned tomatoes you can find and increase the simmer time by 10 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar if the flavor still seems bitter.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Soup
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: Spinach tortellini soup, tortellini soup with spinach